top of page


Clive William Graham was (and still is in 2012) the first NT Commissioner to rise through the ranks rather than be externally appointed.

Born: 14 April 1908, Waverley, Sydney

Appointed NTP: 7 November 1932

Married: 14 July 1938

Retired: 7 September 1966

Died: 11 July 1983 - buried 14 July

Clive's father had been an Inspector in the NSW Police and had seven children. After passing his intermediate examination at East Maitland High School Clive went to work for Broken Hill Propriety steel works in Newcastle. He came to the NT on the vessel Morella in November 1932.

Clive opened the 'canvas and bough' police station at Hatches Creek, 300 km north east of Alice Springs with his new bride (Jane Hayes from Undoolya Station) in 1937. There were no cells at the station and prisoners were tied to trees wearing neck chains.

From Anthony's Lagoon Station he lead a horse patrol of over 1000 miles in the Nicholson River area near the Queensland border with Syd Bowie and Constable Chapman from Queensland Police (which came as a surprise to a talkative cattle thief on the Queensland side of the border who boasted to them knowing they had no power of arrest in Queensland).

Clive Graham was awarded the Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in 1959 and the Imperial Service Order in the 1967 New Years Honours list.


  • Camel Patrols in Central Australia west of Alice Springs.

  • During a visit to the USA Commissioner Graham meets J.Edgar Hoover at FBI HQ.

  • Postcard photograph at Erldunda Station 1936

  • Handwritten notes on rear of postcard

  • Clive Graham's father who was an Inspector in the NSW Police.


Other documents (filed in Google Docs - available for viewing or download by clicking the link below).

  • Graham Retires

  • Record of Service

  • Long Service Medal Memo

  • Obituary

  • Short Bio

  • Bio by Simpson

  • Bio - author unknown

  • McLaren book extracts

Family Details

Clive Graham's father who was an Inspector in the NSW Police.

Clive married Jane Margaret Hayes from Alice Springs who came from a Territory pioneering family who still own cattle stations in Central Australia. They met when she brought dingo pelts to the police station to be counted - at the time police would be in effect the 'government resident' in many communities and do all sorts of miscellaneous tasks such as oversee the dingo bounty scheme. They were married at Undoolya Station on July 14. Jane passed away in 2003. They had 3 daughters Margaret, Eleanor and Pamela Jane.

Clive's daughter Eleanor married Arnold George Wilson who was also a member of the NT Police along with his brother John "Pastry" Wilson.

In retirement Clive moved to Clapham, Adelaide and enjoyed family life and and kept up his interest in woodwork making countless toys for his grandchildren.

(information supplied by daughter Eleanor and granddaughter Donna).

Extract from book by Commissioner Bill McLaren relating to the killing of Mounted Constable McColl.

Pages 842/4 - Following McColl's murder, the Department of the lnterior was advised on 30th August of action taken by Constable Morey. A reply was received from them that no action was to be taken regarding swearing in Special Constables or despatch of party until further advised by that office as without evidence and identification (of offenders) it appeared futile to risk further loss of life and bloodshed.

The Administrator advised that there was ample evidence available regarding the murder of the Japanese as Kinjo and the six Aboriginals were witnesses.

Following further communications between the Administrator and the Department of the Interior at Canberra, the Administrator advised on 8th September that a police party would leave Darwin by train for Mataranka enroute to Roper on l3th September 1933.

They left Roper River on Tuesday l9th September for Groote Eylandt from where their next contact would be made. Between there and Milingimbi there were no white people or places from where communications could be made with Darwin. The police party consisted of Constable Morey as leader, Constable John J. Mahoney, Constable Clive Graham and Vic Hall who was already at Groote Eylandt, having gone there from the last expedition to.protect the Mission Station.

On the 18th December 1933, the Administrator wrote to the Secretary of the Department of the lnterior at Canberra advising that since the murderers of Constable McColl and others was now known-it was his duty, unless instructed otherwise, to take steps to apprehend the murderers. It appeared to him that in sending out a patrol, bloodshed would be inevitable.

The secretary H. C. Brown replied on l9th January l934 that relative to the proposed Caledon Bay, Police Patrol, he desired to inform the Administrator that this matter had been considered by the Minister, who stated that it is not desired at the present time to send any police expedition into Arnhem Land. Certain arrangements had been made with the Missionary Society whose representatives were then in Arnhem Land, and it was desired that before any further departmental action was taken, the result of that missionary expedition should be awaited.

In the course of the next few months two Aboriginals, Tuckair and Merara, were interviewed by the missionaries. Both Aboriginals came to Darwin in Gray's boat. They were later charged with the murder of an unknown man and were committed from the Police Courtby Special Magistrate Lampe to the Supreme Court for trial. Some four months after their arrival in Darwin the murder of an unknown man and were committed from the Police Court by Special Magistrate Lampe to the Supreme Court for trial. Some four months after their arrival in Darwin they appeared before the Supreme Court on 2nd August 1934. The jury brought in a verdict of not guilty and the prisoners were discharged. Tuckair, however, was held in custody awaiting trial for the murder of Constable McColl.

Miscellaneous notes to be added to later Clive was first issued with a woolen police uniform unsuited to the climate and felt the need to make his own version. Clive patrolled both on horseback and camel. His companion 'Ted Dog' was trained to be his sidekick. The family were friends with Syd and Lucy Bowie. He was involved in the capture of an offender in cross border operation targeting cattle duffing. He was also involved with Gold escorts from Darwin and numerous other police operations. Clive once caught a ride with Sam Irvine in the mail truck from Darwin to Alice Springs but as they proceeded further south his tropical clothes proved less and less suitable. Eventually Sam cut head and arm holes in a mail bag to keep Clive Warm. Involved in construction of the Hatches Creek Police Station. While on holidays in Adelaide in 1939 Clive purchased a new Ford Utility for 350 pounds.

27 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Relationships with Aboriginal Women

The following paragraphs taken from "A Force Apart?" detail relationships between Aboriginal Women and NT Police members in a historical context. It is important to consider this in the context of it

Jackie Gordon

(from "A Force Apart?") A more recent example of the life of a police wife was that of Mrs Jackie Gordon, whose husband, John Gordon, was stationed at Timber Creek in 1957. Again, life had hardly chan

Vicki Darken

(from "A Force Apart?") There are no extant records of the loneliness the early police wives felt, but life had hardly changed by 1945 when Vicki Darken lived with her husband at Harts Range Police St


bottom of page